Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Nothing beats the juicy goodness of freshly picked local heirloom tomatoes!
The Raleigh Downtown Farmers Market is hosting its annual Tomatolicious festival in conjunction with Wellness Wednesday from 10 am-2 pm at City Plaza on the 400 block of Fayetteville St. in downtown Raleigh. Each year, The Market welcomes festival goers to celebrate the tomato varietals and connect with the Market’s local farmers who specialize in heirloom varieties known for their unique flavors.
Click here to downtown the Market's tomato guide covering the 19 varieties as well as tips for storage and preparation.
The tomato-centric event will feature:
- Heirloom tomato tasting
- Shop to Win Contest for a chance to win a Gravy Restaurant prize package
- Hula Hoop Contest for kids (12 and under) for a chance to win four admission tickets to Marbles Kids Museum
- Live music by local singer-songwriter Russ Thompson
- Gravy Restaurant Chef Brent Hopkins' healthy cooking demonstration using local produce from the Market
- Exciting giveaways
- Buku grilled burgers with heirloom tomatoes and grilled corn as well as other local food lunch options
- Market recipes and tips
- "Ask a Dietician" showcase by Rex Healthcare
Market goers will have the opportunity to experience a special Wellness Wednesday with a Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BSBCNC) Mobile Interactive Experience—interactive games, fun health facts, and XBOX and WiiTM games. Wellness sponsor Rex Healthcare supports Wellness Wednesdays, an educational series on every third Wednesday of the month including local recipes, chef demos, and a special Rex Healthcare Wellness booth.
Follow the juicy buzz @RaleighEatLocal on Twitter, trending #tomatolicious.