Downtown Raleigh Ambassador Program
Donning their new vibrant blue shirts, the Downtown Raleigh Community and Engagement and Safety Ambassadors are quickly becoming a very recognizable presence in Downtown Raleigh.
As Downtown Raleigh continues to grow into a dynamic 21st century city with new developments emerging in different districts, an increasing residential population, and a continual flow of visitors, our Ambassadors serve to ensure a memorable and welcoming experience for those in our center city.
Our Community and Engagement Ambassadors are an information resource providing a direct, on-street connection to downtown happenings.
Further, our Safety Ambassadors contribute to the overall safety in downtown by patrolling municipal-owned decks as well as the public realm. As the Ambassadors circulate within the 110 blocks of downtown on foot, on bicycles, and on Segways, they are alert and ready to call in the experts such as Raleigh Police or Fire/EMS at the first sign of an emergency.
All of our Ambassadors proactively engage the community by providing the following services:
- Direction and way-finding assistance
- Dining recommendations
- Cultural and tourist attractions
- Motorist assistance
- Safety escorts to and from any location in downtown
- Business check-ins and resident assistance
- Special event safety and information
- Quality of life assistance and outreach
- Aggressive panhandling and suspicious activity observation and reporting
The Downtown Raleigh Ambassadors are on the job seven days a week and are trained to ensure all who are in Downtown Raleigh have a world-class experience.
To request assistance from an Ambassador, call the hotline at 919-368-7962.
For more information about the Ambassador program, please contact Rick Price, Ambassador Operations Manager at email@example.com.
Do you have an Ambassador experience you would like to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Ambassador team will observe the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
The Raleigh Police Department has some advice to stay safe during this holiday season.
First, ideas for all those package deliveries:
- Require a signature for the package.
- Have it delivered to your work location.
- Set and monitor delivery service tracking (you get an alert when a package is set to be delivered, so you can have someone pick it up.
- Have it delivered to a friend or family member (someone who is home during the day.)
- Designate a specific delivery location (you can authorize the delivery service to leave the package somewhere other than the front porch, ie. back porch, side door, garage, or with a neighbor.
- Have the package delivered to a UPS store.
- Install a webcam (it may not prevent a package from being stolen, buy could identify the guilty party.)
- Ask a neighbor to check your front door frequently on a day when you know a package will come.
Here are a few tips to keep yourself safe when buying or selling items through apps like Craigslist, Letgo, OfferUp, and others.
- Meet in a public place during the daytime - a police department parking lot is ideal.
- Do not go alone. Take someone with you if available.
- If purchasing tickets to a concert or show, check with the venue first to make sure the seats exist.
- If purchasing something large for a lot of money, meet at the bank and have them run the money through their machine to make sure it's real.
- Set up an email address to use for online sales only. Don't give out personal information.
- You control the meeting. Only accept cash payment, don't take partial payments or agree to anything other than what was expected. Hand over merchandise only after you receive payment.
- Ask for ID, get a vehicle description and license tag number, don’t let anyone inside to use the bathroom if you have to meet at your home, and meet where you want.