Placemaking and Activations Manager
Reports to: Vice President of Engagement and Business Development
The Downtown Raleigh Alliance (DRA) seeks a Placemaking and Activations Manager to assist in identifying partnerships, determining opportunities and implementing programs for creative activations and installations in Downtown Raleigh. The Manager will plan, lead, and oversee creative activations and programs. This includes current annual events (State of Downtown, Tree Lighting, Outdoor Office, etc.), regular engagement programs (Discover Downtown monthly tours). The Manager will also strategically help identify and develop new programs for the diverse set of stakeholders in Downtown Raleigh.
Key responsibilities include:
• Develop and implement creative ideas to activate, enliven, connect downtown public spaces through strategic placemaking initiatives
• Leverage partnerships to develop unique, high impact activations in public spaces across Downtown that appeal to a diverse set of stakeholders
• Serve as project lead for 700+ person State of Downtown annual event; planning, managing and executing event while collaborating cross-functionally
• Manage all logistics including timelines, partners, AV, volunteers, etc. for both small and large-scale, indoor and outdoor activations and projects.
• Serve as facilitator between event producers, the City of Raleigh, and affected stakeholders to mitigate challenges and optimize outcomes associated with special events
• Assist in development and lead launch of special events toolkit for storefront businesses to collaborate with event producers
Required skills and abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree and 3-7 years of experience in communications, events, or other related field
• Highly collaborative team player
• Knowledge of and passion for Downtown Raleigh
• Ability to identify and cultivate strategic partnerships
• Creative and growth-minded
• Knowledge and passion for intersection of culture, community and economic development, urban planning
• Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
• Process-oriented with strong project management and organizational skills
• Self-motivated and results-driven
• Ability to supervise and manage volunteers
• Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Powerpoint, Word)
• Ability to work flexible hours (some nights and weekends)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The Placemaking and Activations Manager is an exempt employee. Compensation shall be commensurate with experience and will qualify for a generous benefits package to include health, dental, and retirement contributions. Vacation and sick time is also included.
The Placemaking and Activations Manager will work out of the DRA administrative office in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. The individual will interface with business and property owners, residents, community members, government staff, vendors, and professional service providers. Due to the nature of the position, it is expected that this individual may be required to work outside the normal 8:30 am - 5:00 pm office hours.
DRA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to complying with State and Federal laws including fair employment practice laws, which provide equal opportunity in employment to all persons regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, veteran status, or disability.
DRA is a Downtown management and placemaking organization that has helped guide the revitalization of Downtown Raleigh, NC for more than two decades.
MISSION: Advancing the vitality of Downtown Raleigh for everyone.
To Apply: Please email resume, cover letter, 2 professional writing samples, two examples of placemaking projects or short-term activations managed, and a list of 3 references to: Kathleenlouis@downtownraleigh.org